Shannon on CTV: Mason Jar Caprese Salad
Our very own Shannon Boudreau stopped in at CTV for the noon hour and talked about “Summer Eats”. She has so many innovative ideas and recipes for the summer that we just can’t wait to share them all with you! To see Shannon on CTV Noon Hour, click here.
Here is her latest idea for a quick and healthy summertime meal, which can also be prepared in advance for some healthy work lunches – just to be sure to pay attention and layer the dressing on the bottom of the jar! Don’t be afraid to try different salads in this format also!
Caprese Mason Jar Salad
In a large Mason Jar, layer the following (starting from the bottom)
- Home Made Summer Basil Pesto (recipe to follow)
- Fresh Roma Tomato Slices
- Sliced or Baby Bocconcini
- Fresh Torn Basil Leaves (can also use spinach)
Summer Basil Pesto
2 cups Fresh Basil Leaves, packed
2 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Pine Nuts
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
2 tsp Lemon Zest
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Pecorino Cheese, freshly grated
Fleur de Sel
Pepper, freshly ground
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and the lemon juice and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add all the remaining oil and lemon zest, pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto and mix in the cheese.
What’s your favourite salad that you have prepared in a Mason Jar? Comment Below!